Secrets On How To Run Faster: From A Professional
“How can I improve my running speed?” is a common question. While increasing endurance can be achieved by simply adding a few more minutes to long-distance runs, building speed requires a different method. This involves pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone.
By learning the proper strategies, you can improve your speed. In this guide, we will demonstrate a mixture of exercises, workouts, training plans, and techniques to help you run faster.
Improve Your Running Speed
If you want to get faster it’s not just faster running over and over. To truly get faster you need a proper training program. Here are some tips to get you started with your training schedule.
1. Distance Workouts: Long-distance workouts build up your endurance and teach you how to pace yourself over a longer run. That way, when it’s time to sprint, you know exactly how hard and fast you can push yourself without burning out before the finish line.
2. Interval Training: This type of workout involves alternating between running at a fast pace and then taking a break. This helps your body build speed while also teaching it how to recover quickly after exerting yourself for a short period of time.
3. Strength Training: Improving your strength helps you build power in your stride, giving you the ability to move faster with each step. Incorporating exercises such as squats and lunges into your routine can help you become a stronger runner.
4. Rest Days: Don’t forget to take breaks! It may seem counterintuitive, but rest days are critical to improving your overall speed and performance. Taking time off allows your body the chance to rebuild and recover from strenuous workouts, keeping you motivated and injury-free.
5. Diet and Hydration: Eating a balanced diet and staying hydrated are essential to any successful training plan. Eating nutritious foods and drinking plenty of water will keep your body fueled and ready to go for each workout.
Boost Your Running Pace
To build up your endurance, try “fartlek” training which involves varying your running pace randomly. Fartlek is a Swedish term that means “speed play”. Begin with a longer run of at least 20 minutes with a slower pace and then choose a point to start sprinting. Sprint at maximum speed for a short period of time, usually 1 to 3 minutes, then return to your normal pace.
You can also incorporate hill running into your plan. Hill running builds strength and improves your form as you work against gravity. Start by finding a hill that is at least a quarter mile long. Begin walking up the hill, then jogging, and finally sprinting the last few seconds to build up speed.
Once you have gotten used to some distance running and pacing you can try and do a half marathon. This will help you get accustomed to running at an even pace for a longer distance.
Finally, don’t forget about stretching before and after each workout. Stretching helps improve flexibility and prevents injuries.
Finally, practice drills such as high knees or butt kicks to help you build speed. These drills involve running in place or along a short distance and lifting your knees as high as possible, or pushing off the ground with your toes while keeping your leg straight behind you.
By utilizing these techniques, you can significantly improve your speed and performance. Remember to stay dedicated to building up endurance over time and always push yourself further than your comfort zone. You’ll be seeing results in no time! Good luck and happy running!
Proper Running Form
Once you have established a good training plan and routine, there are some simple techniques you can use to help improve your speed.
1. Posture: Make sure you maintain a tall posture with your chin up when running. This will help keep your lungs open and help prevent you from becoming too fatigued while running.
2. Arm Swing: Use your arms to help propel yourself forward and give you more momentum with each stride.
3. Foot Strike: Make sure you are striking the ground with your heel first, using the balls of your feet as a springboard for each stride.
4. Breathing Technique: Try to always exhale when your foot hits the ground. This will help your body stay relaxed and keep your breathing steady.
By following these tips, you too can increase your speed and become the fastest runner you can be! With a proper training plan in place and regular practice, you will see results in no time. Good luck!
Once you have established a good training program, start incorporating speed workouts into it. These are short bursts of speed used to help increase your overall speed. Start with one or two easy runs in order to warm up your body, then move on to faster runs such as intervals and hill sprints. You want to challenge yourself without pushing too hard and risking injury. You can also start off at a solid pace then switch to a faster pace and keep going until you are sprinting.
When you incorporate speed workouts it’s important to remember that the key is quality, not quantity. A few short bursts of speed will do much more for your running than a long run at an easier pace. Speed training is all about pushing your body and improving your performance, so don’t be afraid to challenge yourself!
Tempo runs are another great way to improve your speed. These are longer runs at a steady effort level, usually done for about 30 minutes. The concept is to maintain a steady pace that is slightly faster than your normal easy running pace, but not as fast as sprinting. This type of training helps build up endurance and teaches you how to push yourself without overdoing it.
When doing a tempo run, start with an easy warm-up of at least 10 minutes and then gradually increase your tempo pace until you reach your desired effort level. Maintain this for the remainder of the run and finish with a slow cool down. Tempo runs are an effective way to boost your speed and performance when done correctly.
Creating a successful running routine is key to improving your speed and performance. Start by setting a goal for each workout and building up your mileage gradually over time. Make sure you are incorporating rest days into your schedule, giving yourself time to recover between workouts and avoid burnout.
If you do a speed workout one day don’t do one the very next day. Include different types of runs in order to keep things interesting and challenge yourself. Try interval training workouts, hill sprints, tempo runs, or just a regular easy run.
Include strength training in your routine. Improving your overall strength will help you build power in your stride and give you the ability to move faster with each step. Exercises such as squats and lunges can be incorporated into any running program. Focus on form when doing these exercises to get the most out of them and avoid injuries. Doing bodyweight exercises and strengthening core muscles is great for a faster running pace.
Finally, focus on building your mental strength. Running is as much a mental challenge as it is physical. Being able to push yourself when you feel tired or exhausted can make the difference between success and failure. Visualize yourself running faster and set small goals for each workout that will add up over time.
With dedication and perseverance, you too can become a faster runner! Remember, any progress is good progress. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results right away- stay positive and keep moving forward. Good luck!
Performance Lab Of California
We can help your running performance in just 3 simple steps:
STEP 1. SEND IN A VIDEO OF YOU SPRINTING
This is easy we send you a video to explain what angles to send and how to upload onto our server quickly and easily. You will be able to upload right from your computer or smart device.
STEP 2. RECEIVE BREAKDOWN
We will get your video back within 24 hours. You will get a detailed video explanation and report of what needs to improve. As well as drills to guide you in the right direction.
STEP 3. MAKE THE CHANGE
Typically when working with a coach it takes months or even years to make improvements in your speed. With this program, you will see improvements immediately, GUARANTEED!!